UKIP enter the mainstream

UKIP stall Feltham by election 2011Opinion poll results from TNS-BMRB earlier this week showed UKIP support at an all time high of 16%, double that of the Liberal Democrats and closing in on the declining support ratings for their coalition partners, the Conservative Party.

Whilst it is dangerous to rely too much on polls as anything other than an indicator, all the companies involved in this area are recording solid and improving results for UKIP month on month.

So what has led to this surge of support that is upsetting the cosy triumvirate of the old establishment political parties? I believe a clue may be in letters such as the one I reproduce below from G P Taylor of Scarborough in the Yorkshire Post which was printed recently. Mr Taylor is an ordained Anglican Priest, writer and broadcaster.

I HAVE been harbouring a deep and dark secret for the past year. At first, I didn’t even dare tell my wife, but I knew that at some point my Machiavellian assignations would be found out.  Last week, I was threatened with my secret being “outed”. So, as a Yorkshireman, I have decided to tell the world. I know that some of my political friends may never speak to me again and may even delete me from Facebook. But the times are such that I have to be honest and come out of the closet.  Yes… I am a member of the United Kingdom Independence Party.

It wasn’t something I did easily. I have not been a fan of conventional political parties for a long time. I hold professional politicians in deep distrust and wonder whom they really serve, their own self-interests or us?  That was until I interviewed a high-ranking member of UKIP for a radio programme that I presented. Suddenly my interest in politics was rekindled. Here was a man with deeply held views, passionate about what he believed.  I knew that every time I wrote in this fine newspaper about Europe, politics and morality then my mailbox would be filled with people who thought like me. People cried out for common sense in politics and a return to sensible policies.  It was when I discovered UKIP that I found a party that held fast to these ideals.

For the first time in many years I had found a political group that actually stood for something and wasn’t afraid to say it. They had rightly predicted that Europe would start to quake and fall apart. Their words have been proven to be true as we see every day, the sick state of Europe trying to stay alive for another month, threatening to bring us all down with it.  What attracted me even more to UKIP was that it wasn’t just a one trick pony.  Definite policies on education, defence, public spending, wind farms and immigration made the party too appealing to ignore.

It was not just a party for the European elections. With policies that struck a resonance with my beliefs, I felt I had to become involved. No longer was I prepared to just vote for a party, I decided to join and in joining I felt empowered. In UKIP, I have found my “Arab Spring”.  It was a cathartic moment. Soon I realised that UKIP has members ?from all backgrounds, faiths, sexualities and ethnic groups, committed to the cause of putting Britain back on its own two feet and growing as a nation.  The UKIP candidates were not career politicians, but ordinary women and men who like me want to see a better country to live in. ?They are so unlike the monochrome Tories and Labour politicians as they actually have something interesting to say.

More surprising is that people from all walks of life are thinking about joining. Politics is coming alive again; in UKIP, people are finding a cause to support.  To me, it is as if UKIP is no longer a protest vote, but a viable alternative to the three party system. In Yorkshire and the North East, it is fast becoming the party of opposition. It is also a party that is bringing life and real debate back into politics. It is engaging people with the big questions and giving them a voice.  I am not an activist, just a member, but I am involved. I no longer whine and moan about the state of the country, I can now do something about it.

It has been hard not to vote for the party I had supported since my youth. Sadly, it had changed beyond recognition. No longer is it a party of the people. No longer is it a party of Yorkshire. Politicians appear to be out of touch with the needs of this county. We are expected to mindlessly return MPs to the Westminster gravy train without question and then have our county ignored for the rest of their term in office.  It soon became clear that David Cameron was a man who cannot be trusted to do the right thing for Yorkshire people. He plays a very stupid game of pretence, saying he is a Eurosceptic whilst all the time dragging us deeper into the mire. Likewise, Ed Milliband is shackled to the will of the trade unions and with the Liberal Democrats slowly imploding; the only alternative for Yorkshire is UKIP.

Recent elections have shown that UKIP can make great advances at the ballot box. The only thing stopping them from winning is the doubtful postal votes that were brought in for convenience and have led to political connivance. It is now time for this to be stopped as it threatens democracy and undermines our faith in a political system.  Again, I know UKIP will speak boldly on this issue and bring honourable and upstanding characteristics back into politics. Times certainly are changing. I feel excited that I am a very small part in a political party that wants to see Yorkshire thriving again.  It was for that reason I got off the fence and signed on the dotted line.

Advertisements

7 comments on “UKIP enter the mainstream

1. Tony Justice says:

Hope ukip condemn the apologies re the prominent shin Fein IRA. Solicitor finucane What about state collusion in the rape and murder of white english Christian girls by Muslim rapes and death squads god this country is finished finished

Sent from my iPhone

2. JoolsB says:

It’s noticable that UKIP have one thing in common with the other parties – they seem afraid to mention the word England. There’s UKIP Scotland, UKIP Wales, UKIPNI but no UKIP England. What happened to UKIP’s proposals for an English Parliament? It’s amazing that just like the Tories, UKIP are dead outside of England and yet they just can’t bring themselves to commit to addressing the English Question. UKIP might be feeling pretty smug at the moment doing so well in the opinion polls but how do they know a lot of their extra support isn’t down to people like me who only plan to vote UKIP if they come down off the fence in favour of an English Parliament.

• Tom Hall says:

100% in agreement. I saw the video from a UKIP conference about September or October last year (I assume it was the party’s annual conference) that showed Paul Nuttall MEP’s speech in favour of an English parliament. I believe Nigel Farage was also in favour of an EP. In the last year and a bit, there’s been total silence on the subject. This is a guaranteed vote-winner, so come on, UKIP. Prove you’re in favour of ALL the UK’s countries. Prove you’re not just the same as the Anglophobic LibLabCon gang. Come out openly and say you favour an EP, and I’ll vote for you (and I suspect many others will). But until you do, I’ll just assume you’re just like the rest, and exercise my right not to vote at all.

Was the CEP’s hard work all in vain?

• adger 42 says:

Please write to UKIP voicing your concerns as to why there is no”UKIP ENGLAND” i did a while ago and the answer was— my question was to be referred to paul nutall but i have to say i have not heard anything since but the more people that bring this up means they will have to address it.

• Cliff Dixon says:

Good morning all. I have answered the English Parliament questions on the last two posts that have been put up, but just to re-iterate the following points.
        Firstly, UKIP already have an English Parliament policy on the website which calls for only English based MP’s to vote on matters that affect England in areas that are currently devolved to the other 3 parts of the Union. It is further than the Lib-Lab-Con are prepared to go, but is being looked at as some of us do not believe it goes far enough and in practice would be difficult to implement.
        Secondly, Paul Nuttall’s ‘Union for the Future’ policy is not dead but is one of a range of policies which are being looked at and fine tuned in preparation for elections to come. Union for the Future calls for a devolved English parliament within the Union so that all 4 parts are equal, with a British parliament to sit on reserved matters such as defence. It has been pointed out that the policy as is does not have a section regarding oversight, a function that the Lords used to perform as part of the checks and balances before New Labour wrecked the system – This is being looked at currently. When putting together a new or revised policy, care must be taken that it works and is in line with party policy and opinion – It is not unusual for such policies to take time to refine before being adopted (Our new health policy launched recently was thoroughly thought through and some time in the drafting) so please be aware that this is not a subject that has been dropped.
        There are many within UKIP in the 1997 group who believe in an EP and are keeping the subject in the limelight – With the rest of our policies being so in tune with public opinion, I would suggest that any who wish to resolve the inequality currently affecting the English within the Union come and join us to make the new policy the best that it can be and a reality.You will also be helping us to get out of the EU – Without that exit an English Parliament will be as much a toothless tiger as the existing Westminster set up.

3. JoolsB says:

Cliff, you say an EP is a subject being kept in the limelight, but with respect, we haven’t heard anything about it for some time now. Nigel Farage has been on TV quite a lot recently and the word England has not been mentioned. How is that keeping it in the limelight?

What a lot of us want to know is will an EP definitely be in UKIP’s manifesto or is it still being discussed and opposed by the likes of UKIP Wales? Also will there be a UKIP England alongside UKIP Scotland, Wales & NI? Why isn’t there a UKIP England already?

I intend to join UKIP but not before their policy on an English Parliament is ratified. Then and only then, not only will I vote for them but I will be more than happy to get involved in helping campaign for them.

• Cliff Dixon says:

Those of us within the 1997 group are keeping the subject alive for debate within the party. The policy is, as I have stated before, undergoing review and modification. You will see various policy updates being issued on the UKIP official website over the next few months, health being the first that came through a few weeks back.The existing policy was written in 2010, even then and within that document UKIP acknowledged the democratic deficit affecting England within the Union. That is a pretty good starting point from which to work